Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes!

Well, we can expect some changes! Tim and I started trying for our third child in November. Clearly, that isn't something you really advertise. It's a little TMI for most people.

I got preggers the second week of December and we found out 13 days after I ovulated, which is super early! After dealing with some agonizing and terrifying ruptured ovarian cysts last year, I am SO thankful that my fertility was spared.

Today, I'm 12 weeks and 2 days pregnant. Some would still say that's a little early to be telling people, but my midwife thinks that I, and this baby, are in pretty good shape. We're going to visit an Ob-Gyn a couple of times (today was my first appointment) just to do a few tests that my midwife doesn't do and have an anatomy scan and level 2 ultrasound in about 8 weeks. Our insurance covers it 100%, so why not?

I do feel a bit hypocritical and uncomfortable seeing an Ob-Gyn, especially since I generally don't think that they mesh well with my ideals about women's health and natural living. I detest the medicalized approach to pregnancy and childbirth, finding comfort and the feeling of "YES! I knew there was something out there for me!" with the Midwifery Model of Care. My dream is to be a homebirth midwife myself, so I do tend to feel a little uncomfortable in the office I'm visiting.

For those that are curious, yes, we are having a homebirth if all goes as planned. My midwife is qualified, educated, and experienced. I trust her with my life and the life of my child. If something were to not go as hoped, my attending ladies would recognize it and handle it in the best way possible for me and the baby, up to and including a hospital transfer.

I've had two hospital births, one medicalized and the other hands-off. My only regret about my natural hospital birth was going to the hospital. :)

I am not going to change my mind. I've done the research and feel such a peace about my decision to birth at home. The plan is to have a photographer present to capture the experience for us. Some of those pictures will be shared. I just want people to understand that labor isn't dangerous, pregnancy isn't a terminal illness, and my body was MADE to do this! Your body is, too. Our bodies WORK! Amazing, isn't it?

Can't wait to meet this little one at the end of August

By the way, yesterday was our anniversary! Tim and I have been married for 3 years!

No comments: