Thursday, March 10, 2011

Kefir



So, I love kefir. I really do!

According to www.kefir.net, "Kefir is a cultured, creamy product with amazing health attributes. Kefir’s tart and refreshing flavor is similar to a drinking-style yogurt, but it contains beneficial yeast as well as friendly ‘probiotic’ bacteria found in yogurt. The naturally occurring bacteria and yeast in kefir combine symbiotically to give superior health benefits when consumed regularly. It is loaded with valuable vitamins and minerals and contains easily digestible complete proteins."

Basically, it's a smoothie you grow in a jar on your counter :)

I ordered kefir grains (growing on the left is water kefir and growing on the right is milk kefir), started them per the directions, and now I'm just waiting for the grains to recover from the shipping process so that I can use them to make delicious kefir. I've made milk kefir before, but I have yet to attempt water kefir.

It is delicious and tart, especially blended with fruit! I enjoy using kefir to make smoothies with kale, blueberries, strawberries (all frozen last season when they were grown locally) and/or anything in season.

Have I mentioned lately that I cannot wait for spring and summer?!

From what I understand, you can actually use water kefir grains to make water kefir flavored with lemon juice to create a sort of fizzy, probiotic lemonade! Sounds amazing!

I highly recommend any of you that are interested in kefir to run to the store and buy some. Lifeway brand is easily found at Earth Fare or Harris Teeter. Try it! It is a bit pricey, so once you try it and develop a taste for it, start researching where to get kefir grains and prepare to get addicted to making your own! I'm happy to share my sources if anyone is interested!

No comments: