Monday, April 11, 2011

A few peace-inducing quotes...

Today, my son has been a pill. Plain and simple. His two year old is showing. My daughter was delightful, but she's at pre-school for another hour, so it was just me and my hubby, who is suffering through a HORRIBLE allergic reaction to poison oak, and the crazy 2 year old. I had to pull out a little extra Zen from my back pocket, but we got him down for a nap with no trouble!

Here are a few quotes that bring me peace, whether it be in my parenting, my marriage, etc. and when I read them, I always nod my head and think, "Yeah, we're doing alright."

"When a child hits a child, we call it aggression. When a child hits an adult, we call it hostility. When an adult hits an adult, we call it assault. When an adult hits a child, we call it discipline." -Haim G. Ginott

We aim for gentle discipline in our home. Didn't have kids to hit them.

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." - Theodore Hesburgh

We're always much better parents when our marriage is in good shape.

"Fires can't be made with dead embers, nor can enthusiasm be stirred by spiritless men. Enthusiasm in our daily work lightens effort and turns even labor into pleasant tasks." -Stanley Baldwin

A burnt out mommy is a less effective mommy. Take time to recharge when you need it, even if it means asking for help from friends and family.

"Unless we change direction, we are likely to end up where we are going." - Chinese proverb

'Nuff said...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

These are great.

tia said...

I like.

Samantha said...

The first quote is amazing. I wish more people would think of hitting a minor that way. My aunt tried to defend my cousin's husband's slapping his step daughter across the mouth with 'well it is his house and he didn't like how she was talking' and all I could think was that my aunt would never allow him to hit her across the mouth if she said something in his home he didn't like. Why isn't the 13 year granted the same respect?

Dusti said...

Samantha, I would have to be physically restrained if someone laid a hand on one of my children. I wouldn't tolerate THEM hitting anyone, so why in the world should anyone be allowed to hit them?